Complicatedly simple, or simply complicated?


Saturday, May 26, 2007

mood chillin'
reading The Book of Joe by Jonathan Tropper
listening to 1979 by Smashing Pumpkins


I want a backpack for christmas.

After 6 days 5 nights of crashing around in the bushes of Blue Mountains and ferry+train hopping in the metropolitan city of Sydney, I am back in Melbourne. The weather has been bordering on the less erratic side, and that, i'm telling you, deserves a cry of jubilation.

The Sydney trip was a great eye-opener. We spent 2 full days in the city and 2 full days in Blue Mountains. While the city was nothing out of ordinarily spectacular, the Blue Mountains was awesome. It was a gem, and if my travel itinerary had been more accomodating I would probably have spent a few more days there.





Views of the Jamison Valley and the Three Sisters, which are basically 3 blocks of rocks made famous by a myth.


The Aboriginal dream-time legend has it that three sisters, 'Meehni', 'Wimlah' and Gunnedoo' lived in the Jamison Valley as members of the Katoomba tribe.

These beautiful young ladies had fallen in love with three brothers from the Nepean tribe, yet tribal law forbade them to marry. The brothers were not happy to accept this law and so decided to use force to capture the three sisters causing a major tribal battle.

As the lives of the three sisters were seriously in danger, a witchdoctor from the Katoomba tribe took it upon himself to turn the three sisters into stone to protect them from any harm. While he had intended to reverse the spell when the battle was over, the witchdoctor himself was killed. As only he could reverse the spell to return the ladies to their former beauty, the sisters remain in their magnificent rock formation as a reminder of this battle for generations to come.


And as with all myths, it has probably undergone a series of distortion while being passed down from one tourist guide to another. Some say that the sisters were being chased by a giant, some say that the wizard lost his wand while turning into a bird, but heck, you get the drift.





We did a couple of short bush walks too and saw many waterfalls, big and small. There had been a rare downpour the day before and in a way we were lucky because when we went, the waterfalls were as pretty as a picture. Everywhere we went, water was cascading down in such fierce streams that for a moment we forgot we were in drought.

There was a particularly interesting trail called the Giant Stairway which goes all the way past the Three Sisters into the valley below before it goes back to the top via a less steep roundabout way. The whole thing was 997 steps and bloody steep but I bet the views must have been amazing. We only got as far as about 60 steps, past the bridge and to the first "Sister" before chickening back up because we didn't have time. I was so disappointed.

On the second day we went to Jenolan Cave to do see limestone caves! The whole Jenolan Cave itself has got so many caves full of stalactites and stalagmites and it would take half a lifetime to explore Jenolan in its entirety. But anyway, we only had time for one tour so... grumble grumble.

We did the adventure tour and it was all thanks to Wayne's recommendation. It was such a fun and laughable affair! We had to do a bit of abseiling, squeeze past impossibly small holes, wedge ourselves between boulders of rocks, and slide down on our bums past S-bends and whatnot.





They made us wear funny blue overalls too, which made me feel absolutely like a plumber in action.





We came out of the 2 1/2 hr tour looking like grubs. Everyone had a big brown patch on their bums.

The city, on the other hand, was so-so. Staying in Gold Coast for 4 months has made me realise that I am really not much of a city girl. Well, I wouldn't want to have to eat my words anytime in future, but as of now, I would most definitely choose walking trails and waterfalls over city-hopping anytime.





In front of a wishing well near Queen Victoria building, the leaves-littered street at Town Hall, and maysan in front of Queen Victoria building.





We also visited Manly beach. And oh, how could I forget. A travelogue of Sydney will never make the cut without the inclusion of the ubiquitous Harbour Bridge and Sydney Opera House.





There you have it. Night view. Taken painstakingly with super steady hands.


This trip had been somewhat a budget trip because bloody hell I am so broke! So anyway, by sheer determination and thankfully, an accomodating stomach which chose not to have appetite at the most opportune moments, I managed to live on $30 for 5 days' worth of meals. Don't ask me how, I just know that I am going to stay away from muesli bars for the next few weeks. My only gastronomic indulgence throughout the entire trip was...



An EGG TART!! Heheheeee... I heart egg tarts. :))))))


This whole Australia thing is definitely a turning point in my life. It made me realise how much I love travelling. I've been back in Melbourne for barely 5 days and already I am feeling like a worm on a hot pot. Restless. Dying to get packed up and zoom out the front door.

BUT... In less than 3 weeks my globe-trotting legs are going to bring me to Tasmania! Yipeeyay. However, as excited as I am at the prospect of maybe seeing snow, I've got so much planning to do! It's like doing assignments and studying for tests, man. I swear by the end of the trip I would probably be able to conduct one whole series of geography lecture on Australia.

Labels: ,


posted at 10:37 AM by Felice







About Me

Felicia

23

is a free spirit | is straight | loves to drink | but is a cheap drunk | loves travelling too much | lives for good food | wants to ride on a hot air balloon | hates ignorance | hates mediocrity | hates meaningless conversations | loves walking in the rain |


Indonesia, Singapore


feliciadeanneATgmailDOTcom



Archives


2003-2006



Blogroll

Beautiful amnesia
Chookoolonks
Dooce
Dubdew
Ickleoriental
Karencheng
Momster
Popagandhi
So, cat tacos?
Waiter Rant



Travel blogs

Travelfish
Travelfish blog
Out there somewhere
The globeTROTTERS
Lonely Planet Thorn Tree Travel Forum
Lonely Planet Haystack



Food blogs

Chubbyhubby
The breakfast blog
Whipped the blog
Pinch My Salt
Kitchen Unplugged



Photography

Markus Hartel
Paul Politis
Stuck in Customs



Friends

Adlin
Charles
Clement chio
Denyse
Gideon
Keerling
Kristin
Monica



Shout to me



Credits

design by maystar
graphics by maystar
powered by blogger

| maystar designs |