Missing the days of midweek chill
I just made banana cake again. Yes go ahead, roll eyes. haha. Oh woe is to me, who can't stop being anal to save my life. This time I substituted the margarine with butter, and changed the brown sugar back to white sugar just to see how different it would taste like. Also, because the family of eggs currently sitting in my fridge are so very tiny, I actially pondered in front of my baking bowl for a good few minutes. Another egg? Or not? In the end I plonked the extra bugger right in.
Anyway! It baked beautifully :) I really wish I could take some pictures but the lighting in my house is simply hopeless.
Here is the original recipe (click).
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 3/4 cup white sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup mashed bananas
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup quick cooking oats
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
You can change the shortening to butter or margarine, reduce the sugar from 3/4 to 1/2 cup, substitute half of the flour with wholemeal (you can thank me when you are 40 and trying to diet, for that extra kilo you saved). 1 cup = roughly 2 and half bananas (but please go ahead and plonk in that extra half because leaving half a banana lying around is ridiculous). Also, I baked mine for only 40 min.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Lightly grease a 9x5 inch loaf pan.
- In a large bowl, cream together the shortening and sugar until light and fluffy. Stir in the eggs one at a time, beating well with each addition, then stir in the banana and vanilla.
- In a separate bowl, sift together flour, baking soda and salt. Beat into creamed mixture. Stir in oats and nuts. Pour into prepared pan.
- Bake in preheated oven for 50 to 55 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the loaf comes out clean.
And oh, an extra egg won't hurt too! :)
Did you know that Halloween is coming?! A crazy idea stopped by me today, since I am all into this fruit & vege theme nowadays. You know, making a pumpkin cake (even though I've never eaten one in my entire life) and heck, why not a Jack O Lantern too just for the fun of it! :D
I popped by NTUC today and saw humongous, perfectly orange, flawless pumpkins on sale. But MAN, you won't believe how exorbitant those things are. I picked up a soccer ball-sized one and balked when I saw the $74 price tag. Anyway, I got half of a tiny pumpkin (those Halloween unworthy ones) and I can't wait to make a cake out of it!
Labels: The domestic goddess at work